COVID-19: Fiji reports 146 new cases; 10 deaths recorded

Image: FIJI TIMES ONLINE

Fiji has reported a total of 146 new cases of COVID-19 since the last update on Wednesday, October 20.

Of that, 85 new cases were recorded on October 16, 39 new cases on October 17, and 22 new cases in the last 24 hours ending at 8am today.

Ministry of Health and Medical Services permanent secretary Dr James Fong said the epidemic curve depicted the daily positive cases since the second wave of this outbreak began in April this year.

He said overall, there had been 51,777 cases recorded, with 71 per cent of the cases from the Central Division, 27 per cent of the cases from the Western Division, and 2 per cent of the cases from the Eastern and Northern divisions.

Dr Fong also reported an additional 10 COVID-19 deaths for the period August 2 to October 20.

He said nine deaths were reported from the Western Division and one from the Central Division.

“An analysis of the 10 deaths highlighted that individuals were aged between 45 to 92 years; 56 per cent (6) were males; all 10 individuals died at home or on their way to the hospital; and 67 per cent (6) of these deaths were unvaccinated, the remaining 33 per cent (n=4) received only one dose of the vaccine,” Dr Fong said.

“This means that there were no deaths of individuals who were fully vaccinated. Nine of these deaths were reported from August today due to a delay in the issuance of the death certificates.”

He added there had been 12 deaths of  COVID-19 positive patients recorded, but those deaths had been classified as non- COVID-19 deaths by the doctors citing serious pre-existing medical conditions.

There have been 673 deaths due to COVID-19 in Fiji, with 671 of those deaths during the outbreak that started in April this year.

More Stories