Live tsunami siren test scheduled for Friday
8 September, 2021, 7:00 am
Members of the general public between the Suva–Lami corridor are advised that the National Disaster Management Office will be conducting a live tsunami siren test at 11 am this Friday, September 10, 2021.
The NDMO stated the exercise was part of the Government’s continued commitment towards improving its state of readiness for any tsunami event.
“The purpose of this siren test is to test the functionality of the sirens,” the NDMO stated.
There are a total of 13 sirens installed along the Suva foreshore, having an acoustic range of 1.2kms.
Locations of the sirens are:
- Water Authority of Fiji – Kinoya Sewerage Plant
- FINTEL – Vatuwaqa
- RFMF Officers Training School – Vatuwaqa
- USP Statham Campus
- USP Lower campus
- USP Main campus
- My Suva Park
- Government Training Centre – Nasese
- i-Taukei Trust Fund Board
- SCC Civic Car park rooftop
- Biosecurity, Renown Street – Suva Central
- Government Shipping Services – Walu Bay
- Lami Town
All 13 tsunami sirens will be activated, however, no evacuation will be required.